The 1950 TD combined the TC's drivetrain but with modified hypoid geared rear axle with the MG Y-type chassis and a familiar T-type style body. An independent suspension using coil springs in front was new, as were rack and pinion steering, smaller 15 inch disc type road wheels and a left-hand drive option. Bumpers and over-riders became standard for the first time. The car was also 5 inches wider with a track of 50 inches. In 1950 the TD MkII was introduced with a more highly tuned engine with 8.0:1 compression ratio giving 57 bhp at 5500 rpm. Nearly 30,000 TDs had been produced when the series ended in 1953 with all but 1700 exported.